Elder Jeremy R. Teela

Elder Jeremy R. Teela

Monday, January 20, 2014

Week 22

Hello world (or the small portion that I know of it anyway), how have you been lately? This week has been pretty... um interesting. Let's put it that way so it sounds more positive. Let me explain:

So I'll begin with last Tuesday. Me and Elder Phelps had gone to dinner the night before with Sister Henriques and had some great Ravioli. We were really excited about it because she even gave us all the left overs, which means we had dinner for 3 days! But that morning Elder Phelps woke up and literally said "Oh no" almost immediately. He spent all morning at the super bowl if you know what I mean, It was horrible for him. I felt pretty good and worked out like normal and even ate some breakfast, but when we got on the bus I got hit with some really bad nausea. Me and Elder Perez (another visa waiter in my district) were going to get our finger prints done that day in Santa Monica which meant 2 hours of buses. Yeah, that was fun. 


I managed to get through the finger printing fine and all that. The good thing that came of it though was I got to see Elder Light again. He was my temporary companion on my first day out and honestly we were both disappointed we weren't permanently comps. It was cool to see him again and we still had fun even though I was super sick. After all that we got pretty lucky actually and got a more direct ride home from the Hurleys, some senior missionaries in our ward. We got home around 4:30 and deiced to try and do some studies, but I feel asleep in about 5 mins. I woke up and felt a bit better but still didn't want to do any work. 


After I woke up I went into the bathroom and splashed a bit of water on my face and said a quick prayer for strength. I came out and asked for a blessing from my fellow Portuguese man and decided it was time we go out. We had a sister that needed help moving her trash cans down from her steep driveway because she's old. The problem was her house is 4 miles away. I decided I wouldn't let my weakness impede us and we would go anyway. It was a mistake honestly. We rode there, almost literally up hill the entire way, got there and helped her out and I collapsed into a chair in their back dinning area. It was so sick I almost threw up on the spot and so weak that I could barely stand.

Sister Pumphery (the sister, about 60) then came out and offered us dinner. I said I wasn't feeling well enough to eat but Elder Perez was welcome to. She said she would make me some ginger tea while preparing dinner (it's herbal, don't trip). I remember hearing somewhere that ginger is what sailors used to combat sea sickness so I went for it. It was SSSOOOO good. I had almost no nausea as long as I drank it. I was still tired, sore, hot and weak, but hey, any improvement is good. I thanked her heartily and they had dinner and we spoke a while with them. After that we were lucky enough to get a ride back home from our companions and I went to bed almost immediately.

The next day was more of the same. I felt awful and so did Elder Phelps, but we needed to get back to Sister Pumphrey's home again to help with the trash cans again and fill a hole for her in the front yard. On the way there we were biking in our service clothes and I noticed my front tire was hissing. Yep, I had a flat. One mile into the journey. How fun is that? Walked for about an hour the last 3 miles and nearly died doing so, but Sister Pumphery had given me some tea to go so at least I wasn't throwing up the whole way. We got there, filled in the hole, and collapsed into those same chairs. We stayed for 4 hours and had an extremely light lunch so that we would have strength to get home. It was pretty awful honestly, but we needed to get the work done. We walked over to our friend Anthony's home and took a break there to visit him and rest again. We managed to get home around 6:30.

When we got home we both literally fell on the couch and said nothing for about 15 mins. We were both soooo tired. We decided to go to be early again but this time around 9:45. We talked for the time in between about heaven knows what, I was not in the state of mind to remember. I really like Elder Phelps though, I can honestly say he's my favorite comp. so far, despite his nerdiness.

The next day we felt much better but it was weekly planning and correlation meeting so we basically got one more day's rest. 

The next day was awesome because I got all my birthday stuff! YAY! It was a week late due to the mission's mail system but I was happy all the same. I got a nice new sweater, new BYU sun glasses (to replace my stolen ones), some CD's and tons of food and other stuff from my family. I also got some hand made gifts that are just great. My sister made me this cool necklace that has both my missions on it and my brother made me some BYU/missionary magnets. I love em' both and it was awesome reading all the cards and letters from everyone. I had so many it took all of lunch and some of dinner to read em' all! Thank you all so much for your love. 

I spent the rest of the day on splits with Elder Spencer. We spent most the time walking to the bike shop to get my tire replaced because once again it had popped, but this time it had split 3 inches along the seam, so it was a write off. I like Elder Shepard, he's as cool as he is tall (I'd say about 6'5") and we had a good time making our tacos for dinner and talking with people on the street. I even got to work a bit of Spanish around the way. 

Not much really to report the next two days. We had stake conference broadcasted from head quarters with Elder Eyring, Anderson and a few others. We went to both the adult and general sessions which was fun. I'll write more about those in letters. 

One more funny thing I guess is what happened this morning. We found a park to work out at finally and we went there this morning. As I was running around and as Elder Phelps was stretching, he heard some girls apparently talking about me! Haha, that made me laugh. He said that I was turning heads and I think it would have been funny to give them a pass along card or something but I didn't hear of this till later. 19 more months ladies, haha. 

Anyway, I've got to get going. lots of missionaries are here to Email at the mission office so we've been asked to limit our time. I'll be more spiritual some other time I guess. But to leave you with a thought I would recommend reading Alma 36 where he talks about his repentance story. It's really good from he point of view and it's one of my favorite sections in the BoM. Love you all and hope you have a good week! 

-Um no exercito de Deus
Elder Teela

No comments:

Post a Comment