Elder Jeremy R. Teela

Elder Jeremy R. Teela

Monday, June 16, 2014

Week 43- C'mon, even the pilongi ate one!

Hello ladies and germs. These past few days have been pretty hectic and I've got some stuff to tell.
Elder Richeson and Elder Teela

So first off my new area is called Carson 2 but we're really in a city called Wilmington. It's fairly residential but surrounded by factories and such so we live in a bit of a pocket of houses. It's a fairly nice area but coming from the hustle and bustle of downtown makes me feel like the place is really dead. Oh and it's 85% Hispanic (quoting my mom on that one) so we don't really have a lot of people that speak English..... Makes things real fun. We don't really have investigators except this one guy named Vincent. He's 17, really cool and being baptized on the 29th. He's already attended church enough too so no worries there! He's really prepared! Oh, we also get dinner every night and sometimes lunch too, so the members take good care of us.

My comp is now Elder Lui (as I said last week) making this a total of 6 areas and 12 companions in 10 months roughly (8 1/2 if you take pout MTC time). Elder Lui is from Utah but is super Tongan. He was raised by his grandparents who are from Tonga and spent a lot of time there so he speaks it fluently and has a good grasp of the culture. He's a great singer too and is one of those people who can ear out just about anything on guitar or piano. He's fun and cool and we get along great.

So a funny story this week happened at dinner Wednesday night. Were eating with this Filipino family named the Garruchos and I was literally  the only white kid there. The father is super buff and funny, the mother is an excellent cook and great woman and together they have 2 kids ages 12 and 17. Their 17 nephew lives there too and Bro. Garrucho's sister. They are the ones that brought Vincent to us. Anyway the family and us all sat down had some BBQ, potatoes and the like, but after the main course of served they thought they could mess with the white boy. They brought out some good old baloot (forgot how to spell it) and thought they could gross me out. HA! I laugh at you silly people! I ate one and so did Bro. Garrucho but everyone else just sat around and tried to get each other to eat it. Elder Lui thought this was funny and just yelled out "C'mon, even the pilongi (white kid in Tongan) ate one!" We all about died laughing and we actually saw they still have those baloot in the fridge, haha.

So for my spiritual-alities this week I think I'll just go back on what I said about work. This area is a really dead one and it pretty much always has been for English elders. in the past 6 years or so there have only been 20 or so investigators. A lot of people let those numbers get them down but I for one will not. I know one thing for sure, if God sent me here, it wasn't for me to slack off for 6 weeks. God helps those who help themselves I've always believed. We're gonna try and find through members but sometimes that doesn't always work out so well. Let me tell you, if you invited a friend over for dinner or something and let the missionaries teach them, you'll make their day. Try to prayerfully consider someone that can use the gospel in their lives this week and help out your missionaries!

Anyway, that's really all for this week. I hope you're all doing well and stuff. Till next week!

-Um no exercito de Deus

No comments:

Post a Comment