Elder Jeremy R. Teela

Elder Jeremy R. Teela

Monday, April 7, 2014

Week 33-- Gotta love kids

Hello one and all again and all that good stuff! Had a pretty good week, especially since it was conference this week! Man, I could write about that all week long! But I think you all would get bored of that kinda, so I'll stick with the same-old. 

So I guess the first real big thing I can write about was on Tuesday. We went over to a member's home to confirm some service for the next day but, when we got there we found that the daughter that speaks English was gone. She had run off to the hospital for some reason or another and left her elderly mom at home with her neighbor that only speaks Spanish. I was mostly okay with that but ended up doing all the talking for both of us. As we talked things got weird fast. She started telling us our bikes would get stolen so kids can buy drugs. She then went on a rant about how kids can get drugs in anything these days and told us about some kids who bought a pizza from LA Pizza Loca and how it was apparently a marijuana pizza. Like I said, it got weird fast. The old lady that lives there kept answering the phone and immediately hanging on people too, including her daughter in the hospital, haha. She was getting a bit frustrated and finally the neighbor took the phone and answered it for her. 

The next day we went back to the same home to help transplanting a tree and some other yard work. Thankfully the daughter was back and we had a bit more success communicating. We dropped our bags in the house and set to work, and then, they left!  They locked the house and everything! Our bags and phone were in there! We finished up the work and waited as long as we could to see if they'd come back but they never did. We went over to our dinner appointment around 7 and had to get them in the morning. 

For dinner we went over to the famous Chino's. We were in service clothes so he said "Whoa, are you guys off the clock? Teela, you look so skinny!" Oh Chino, love that guy. We had an awesome little dinner party will about 20 people including us. Some of our investigators and members showed up and we all had a great night. Some of the people in our area came and brought their kids which was fun because Chino made his signature aborted-baby-duck dish and told me to demonstrate for everyone. The little girl started saying I was like a mommy now because I had a baby in me and the boy was like "How could you eat that!?" Gotta love kids, haha. It was a good night and we had a good lesson to finish up the night on a good note. 

The next morning we took off and picked up our bags from the home of those ladies. They made us some good breakfast and we had a little lesson to make up for missing each other so much the last few days. That night we actually went over to the home of the member/investigator with the kids. They made us some awesome dinner and the kids we still super grossed out by the whole duck thing, haha. Those kids are crazy and hilarious.

Friday we had our Zone Training Meeting for the transfer. It was a great meeting and we spoke on cleaning up our lives in the small ways we always can to let the spirit abide that much stronger in us. We did our exchange right after and me Elder Mandaza took off for the day. We visited one of my favorite people to go see, a man by the name of Jason DeCastro. He spent about a year and a half to two years in Brazil so he gives me the low-down on all the culture, language and food. On top of that he's just a really cool guy and he gives us food. We had a good lesson and talked about sacrifice and how we need to still sacrifice to the Lord today, just not in the form of doves and lambs. 

Saturday was GENERAL CONFERENCE!!! *Que angelic choir* It was SO good. Right off the bat they got my personal favorite speaker Jefferey R. Holland to go, which was just the greatest thing ever! It was a great conference really and I wish I could tell you all the great things I learned but that would take years! I'll save some of my thoughts for the end of this letter though. 

For lunch Saturday we were taken out to Chik-fil-A by this recent convert woman named Lisa. She is pretty cool, especially since she took 4 hungry missionaries out for lunch and payed for them! We pretty much just hung out at the church for the rest of the two days. Conference took up about all of out time. 

So one talk that I really liked was given by Elder Hallstrom in the priesthood session. Sorry if you missed it ladies but you should really check it out. It's about how changing ourselves is what the gospel is all about. About how if we ever say "That's just the way I am" it's showing an extreme lack of faith in God and in ourselves. I think I have really come to realize how much about myself really needs changing out here so far. I feel like I have fully list of things to do when it comes to self-improvement and change. The first attribute we need to change all of that though is humility, something I feel I lack a lot of the time. I guess I'll start there and work my way up, haha. 

I hope you all had a good conference weekend and if you missed ANY of it I suggest you go back and watch it. It was all SO good and I don't think I didn't like one of the talks this year. I know that sounds bad, but we all know it's true. I would recommend starting with that talk by Elder Hallstrom, Elder Holland, President Monson..... just pick one I guess, haha. Have a good week! Until next time

-Um no exercito de Deus
Elder Teela

No comments:

Post a Comment