Elder Jeremy R. Teela

Elder Jeremy R. Teela

Monday, August 25, 2014

Week 53-- Hola

Hello again everyone! 

I guess you all want to hear back on this so I'll start by saying that I am staying state-side for the rest of the mission. It's not %100 set in stone yet though, Pres. Weidman still needs to talk to all "the brethren" and they will pray about a re-assignment. I've said that I'll stay though if they agree with that. I talked to Pres. Weidman about my language study and when I asked him about studying Spanish he paused for a second and said "That's a good idea Elder Teela.", haha. I'm so gonna be a Spanish missionary. Even if not, I'm happy to finish out here. This place has pretty much become home now. Thanks for all the prays/support/advice and anything else you've done, but I'm sure the Lord has great things in store here.
So some cool stuff from this week that happened... Oh! I got my mom's hump-day package. It was fully of camel-themed post cards from the ward back home which I kinda missed at first because I was running a bit slow, haha. Thanks to anyone who sent them out, it was fun to read em' all and realize just how fast the past year has gone by :). I still got quite a bit of time left though, so let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
We had a good lunch with the sweet sister who taught us how to make pies on that day too, so that was really fun. That night we also had dinner with another sister who is just the nicest most helpful woman ever. She made us some crab, some shrimp and some Filipino something... There will be some fun pictures of that at the end here. It was a great way to celebrate the day. The rest was weekly planning day so we made a few pies and talked missionary stuff for the rest of the day. It was pretty fun :).


The next day we had a trip up to the visitor's center and that was sure fun to get set up. We had 4 or 5 people we wanted to ask give our friend Emily a ride up (she's being baptized Saturday) so that we could make it. And all 5 of them said they couldn't. 3 of them don't even have jobs or school and they still couldn't! But luckily someone at the last minuet was able to help us get her up there and we had a great tour. The spirit was strong and the sisters were friendly, so all went pretty great.
Sunday was super good though. We went to he normal family ward for an hour or so, then we took off to Downtown again to confirm an old investigator. We got there a bit early so we got a chance to say hi to everyone and they all seemed to be doing pretty great. I got to see all my old friends there and the people who'd been baptized while I was at the ward. It was really cool and a great experience. The sister was confirmed and we got some pictures taken and it was all fun. Elder Richeson was still there too so we got a chance to be all reminiscent and stuff.


After that we were going to take the buses home but ended up getting a ride from a less-active guy named Saul (but the Spanish way Sa-ool). Pretty much this thug-looking guy pulled up in a beat up car and asked us if where we were going. We told him and he said to jump in.... so we did, ha ha. I know it sounds super sketch but in LA people don't ever do that, so when they do, they know just how creepy it seems I figure and are pretty sincere. So we hopped in and drove us 40 mins and took us home. He was a great guy.
We finished up Sunday night at a Japanese pot-luck with the bishop of the YSA ward and it was pretty fun. His wife is Japanese and has a ton of friends and they all sat around and spoke and we had no idea what was going on basically. It was super good food though and we had our little pack of people that only speak English so it was fun still. We also planned out the baptism for Saturday and it looks pretty much good to go! It looks like a good week ahead.
For my little thought at the end here I've had some lyrics to a song I listened to on before the mission running through my head a bit. It goes a bit like this:
Out on the front line
Don't worry, I'll be fine
The story is just beginning
I said goodbye to my weakness
So long to the regrets
And now I see the world
through diamond eyes.
It's not really about missionary work but it fits the theme out here so well doesn't it!? I really like the middle two lines "I said goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets" and that is what we really try to isn't it? Put everything behind us and over come it to serve the Lord. It can different things to different people I think but I like to thing of it in a missionary-ish way of course :).
Well, have a good week everyone, hope everyone is having fun starting up school!
Un en le exercito de Deus
-Elder Teela

No comments:

Post a Comment