Elder Jeremy R. Teela

Elder Jeremy R. Teela

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Week 60-- Bound For The Promised Land

Well, this is it finally everyone! I go to Brazil tomorrow morning! I'm SO EXCITED I'M GONNA DIE!!! But for real though I am very ready for this. It's been a long year waiting around but it's been great. I've learned so much from this mission and I am going to miss it for sure. There are some great missionaries and great members here and it's been an experience like nothing else. That being said though, it didn't keep me from singing along to the song "The promised land" which goes like this: 

"I am bound for the promised land, 
I'm bound for the promised land! 
Oh, who will come and go with me? 
I am bound for the promised land!" 

Haha, pretty much tells all the story there. I think on the plane I'll be singing "Oh Babylon, oh Babylon we bid thee farewell!" This really is an amazing place, so many good people but also so much... sin and temptation. It really is modern-day Babylon I'd say, but we'll see if Brazil really is "The Promised land", haha. 

So fun stories this week? Well, I became a man for one. Me and Elder Shamo had to go up to the temple Saturday for me to get some new clothes (since most of whites got stained last week). We missed our exit and somehow ended up in Malibu... It was really pretty, don't get me wrong but it was not the place we needed to go by about 20 mins. So we went back, got there and ended up in the car for about 3 1/2 hours. But what made me a man out of all of this? We had lunch on the way there at a place called Fatburger where the food is just that. Fattening but super delicious! They have what they call the XXXL challenge. It's 1.5 lbs of meat on the burger, and you stuff your face with that. IF you finish it they take your picture and you get a certificate and all that. It's a staple of man-hood I'd say :). 




The rest of the week we pretty much made our normal rounds but I was saying my goodbyes as well. It's really a speacial place here in the South-West LA (SWLA) branch. I really am going to miss the people here and all around LA for that matter, but I'll be back in a year or so I'd hope :). 

So I guess for my final thought here I want to talk about trials. When I was thinking on this this morning I was for some reason drawn to D&C 121 where it says: "Many are called but few are chosen". Many of us thinks this has to do with callings and I think it does too, but it might also be talking about trials. I know that our trials are calculated to improve and strengthen us.  I think that many people are called to go through similar trials, but few are chosen specifically for us. I think that this was one of my "chosen" trials. It has taught me much and I will always remember all the great people and lessons learned here. I trust my Heavenly Father that this, will be something I will know was for my better. We just need to keep that faith and say as Nephi did "Never the less I [will] go forth" when we don't know what exactly God has in plan for us, because it's better than anything we can plan out. 

Well, catch you all in a week, in Brazil :)

-Um no exercito de Deus
Elder Teela 

No comments:

Post a Comment